Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Break from Vegas



Although half of the premise of this blog was to talk about video games, it kind of dawn on me that I hadn't really spent that much time playing video games; like nothing for the last three months. Although this may not sound long, this comes from the guy that used to play from three to four hours straight every day about three years ago. Little by little though, I kind of being reducing the time. Do I regret this? No, its all about prioritizing and allocating time where it needs to be.

Anyway, this Spring Break I dusted off my 360 and rented a couple of games: Devil May Cry 4 and Rainbow Six Vegas 2. The first one I played was Devil May Cry 4 and I can tell you that it is a pretty cool game. The game falls under the category of Action and Adventure and from the moment you start playing it, you just can't put it down until the end of the story. Its got a few problems like making you play the same bosses several times, or some weird sex innuendos that feel sometimes off places but the game is overall pretty cool. The other game however, was not an instant hit for me.
At first when I began to play RSV2, I felt sick playing it, literally. One of the main problems with why most people don't grab first person shooters is that the view makes their eyes or stomach hurt (it looks like if you were watching the game from the eyes of the character). I c just couldn't believe that after sometimes of criticizing people and telling them to take it like a man when playing fps, I myself was having the same eye straining and dizziness (it wasn't the time; I only played for an hour). On top of that, I was really lost in the first mission: I didn't know what to do, my AI (Artificial Intelligence) guys were not helping at all, and my weapons were just not doing the damage they should be doing. I was very close to just returning the game (I rented both of them). After that first hour, I didn't play the game again for a day or two. After that, having nothing better to do, I gave the game another shot. This time, it all clicked. The eye strain and the dizziness went away for the most part and the gameplay was not bad at all, it just was different from the games I had played before.
The morale of the story is: don't get carry away if things don't work out in the first 30 or so minutes. Give things some time.

1 comment:

Yomi said...

hey.wassup man. i will have to say devil may cry has always been a very good game right from the very first one.i started playing devil may cry on ps2 and i still think it is one of the best action adventure games out there.i really dont know anything about rainbow six but you definitely need to try army of two on 360. the game is really good